A Partnership with Louisiana’s Office of the Governor, the Lamar Family
Louisiana State University, Southern University and the Baton Rouge Area Foundation
The 2021 Governor’s Fellows Application is now closed.
The review process can take up to one month to complete. Selected Fellows will be notified via email at the time of their selection.
We appreciate your patience as we review the outstanding applications received this year.
The Governor’s Fellows Program in Louisiana Government is an opportunity for college and university students to experience public policy in action, learn the rich history and current affairs of Louisiana government, and earn three hours of academic credit. Each Fellow will be assigned to a cabinet-level agency in Baton Rouge. Fellows will have the opportunity to gain valuable experience by collaborating with agency leaders on existing projects, observing firsthand the Governor’s leadership strategies and learning how state policies are developed. Fellows will also participate in a weekly speaker series and field trips designed to enhance their overall experience and understanding of Louisiana government and current affairs.
Requirements for Participation:
- The fellowships are open to students attending a Louisiana institution and Louisiana residents enrolled in out-of-state accredited institutions.
- Undergraduate students who have completed their sophomore year; Graduate students who have completed at least one year of their degree program (e.g., MPA, JD, MSW, etc.)
- Currently enrolled in a degree-granting institution in Louisiana; or, a Louisiana resident enrolled in an out-of-state degree-granting institution
- Good academic standing with an overall G.P.A. of 3.0 or equivalent
- Demonstrated leadership and commitment to public service, volunteerism and political involvement
- Ethical standards, including professional discretion and adherence to confidentialities
- Strong commitment to personal growth, good government and nonpartisanship
Benefits to participating Fellows:
- Student housing on LSU’s campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (participants are encouraged to stay on campus)
- Three hours of course credit offered through Louisiana State University’s Department of Public Administration
- Up to a $1,500 stipend for additional expenses
Application and Interview Procedures:
After completing the online application form, please forward the following documents (PDFs) in a single email to the fellows coordinator Zac Lemoine (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Complete transcript
- Resume including education and employment history
- Letter of professional recommendation from a professor or supervisor
- Letter of personal recommendation - not from a family member
- 500 word essay focusing on a specific policy issue or cabinet position within the Governor’s Office. Your statement should outline the significance of your choice and how, based upon your education and experience, you could enhance or further the goals of that specific office or policy issue. Your essay may either focus on a current issue or suggest a new policy. To the best extent possible, Fellows will be placed within their area of focus.
Fellows Program Timeline:
February 1, 2021 Application Opens
March 15, 2021 Application Deadline
May 31, 2021 Program Begins*
Week of July 4 Program Break*
July 31, 2021 Program Ends*
*As of now, these dates are tentative.
For additional information, please email:
Zac Lemoine, Fellows Coordinator, email@example.com.